Tonight’s dinner was inspired by my recent trip to Colombia. After spending a few days in Cali, I headed to San Andres Island where I had the most flavorful rice I’ve ever tasted – arroz con coco! It’s both sweet and savory.
In some dishes, coconut rice is so sweet it’s like a dessert, and in other dishes, it’s much more salty and savory (with a hint of sweet). It’s often or best paired with seafood.
Suffice to say, I’ve been craving it ever since I touched back down in the United States, so I got cooking in the kitchen to make my own calorie conscious version which is actually a pretty darn good meal prep recipe.
Here’s my delicious journey below!
HEALTHY COLOMBIAN COCONUT RICE RECIPE (VEGAN)
Ingredients for 15 servings (of about 1/3 cup each):
- 1 can (13.5oz) lite coconut milk
- 2 cups long grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon stevia in the raw (OR 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or raw cane sugar)
- 1/3 cup raisins, optional
- 1 teaspoon allspice * (optional, my addition)
- 3 cups of water
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- coconut flakes
- Set a large pan/pot on low heat and add about 3/4 of the lite coconut milk (make sure the majority of the fat gets added first). Bring it to a simmer and continuously stir. As the liquid reduces, you’re left with a thick coconut paste. Continue stirring, scraping the pan to prevent any sticking, and keeping it on low heat. Once the paste begins to curdle and turn brown, then it’s ready. This should take about 25 minutes. Be patient – it’s worth it!
- Add the brown rice, raisins and the remaining coconut milk. Give it a good stir for about 3 minutes, then add the stevia (or coconut/cane sugar) and a little allspice if desired. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes until the rice is fluffy. Note: add more water as needed to ensure the rice cooks and does not burn.
- Season to taste with sea salt & pepper and garnish.
Approximate macros for 1 of 15 servings:
119 calories, 22g carbohydrates, 2g fat, 2g protein, 1g fiber, 2g sugar
GRILLED SALMON RECIPE
Ingredients for 3 servings:
- three 6oz wild salmon filets, raw
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 pinch of sea salt, 3 pinches of pepper
- grapeseed or olive oil spray
- Season the salmon with the seasonings, then set a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Spray it with olive oil or grapeseed oil, then add the salmon filets once it’s hot. Sear the salmon on both sides for about 4 to 5 minutes each, careful not to let it burn or stick to the skillet. Use the fat from the salmon as gravy and bathe the salmon in it while it cooks.
- Once the salmon is cooked to desired readiness, remove it from the heat.
Approximate macros for 1 of 3 servings:
241 calories, 0g carbohydrates, 34g protein, 0g fiber, 0g sugar
MIXED SALAD WITH ORANGE DIJON VINAIGRETTE RECIPE:
Ingredients for 1 serving:
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1/3 cup cucumber slices
- 1/3 cup red onion slices
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- juice from 1/2 orange or tangelo
- cracked pepper
Approximate macros for 1 serving:
81 calories, 15g carbohydrates, 0g fat, 1g protein, 3g fiber, 9g sugar.