This post is also available in: Spanish
Grilled shrimp is good. Grilled avocados are good. But, good together? I think – I mean – I know so…
Here’s a quick and easy grilling recipe that I whipped up in about 30 minutes using minimal ingredients. And best thing is, it passes the #FitMenCook 3-Color Meal Rule of eating at 3 colors at each meal! Winning.
And don’t let the colors fool you, these kabobs pack quite a punch!
Ingredients for 5 hearty kabobs:
- 1lb (454g) jump shrimp (prawns)
- 1.5 large semi-ripe avocados (you want them somewhat ripe but firm)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- Seasonings for shrimp
- 1 tablespoon garlic (paste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- pinches of sea salt & pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- juice from 1 large lime
- 1 tablespoon Brag Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (paste)
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic (paste)
- 1/8 cup finely chopped cilantro
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Set your grill (or oven) to about 400F.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 15 minutes.
- Chop veggies and avocado into large pieces for the kabob.
- Peel shrimp (leave the tails) and season.
- Assemble the kabobs. I used chunks of red onion as the end caps. But feel free to make the recipe your own and toss in your favorite seasonable vegetables. Opt for more fibrous vegetables as they are more filling and will likely hold well on a kabob stick under intense heat.
- Spray your grilling rack with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray if you are using an electric grill. Place the kabobs on the grill and cook for about 8 – 10 minutes then flip over and cook for another 8 – 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the marinade.
- When the kabobs have finished grilling, brush them with the optional marinade and serve immediately.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 kabobs:
256 calories, 22g protein, 14g carbs, 12g fat, 6g fiber, 3g sugar