With a little creativity, you can make even low-carb burgers pretty epic and satisfying. If you’re trying to watch your carbohydrate intake but you are craving a juicy hamburger, then try this variation that uses portobello mushrooms instead of bread. Plus, stacking up on raw veggies will load you up with fiber and pump your body with vitamins and minerals. This is a great meal for on-season competitors and models who are looking for lower carb options.
- 5oz lean ground chicken
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 large leaf lettuce
- 2 leaves red cabbage
- 3-4 thin tomato slices (red, yellow, green)
- 1 tbsp goat cheese
- 1/16 cup shredded carrots (or 2-3 carrot slices)
- 1/2 small avocado slices.
- Set oven to 375F.
- Wash portobello mushrooms and remove stem. Dry them with a paper towel.
- Place them face down in a baking pan and lightly spray with olive oil. Sprinkle a little sea salt and garlic.
- Bake in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Season with your ground chicken with your choice of seasonings. I recommend sea salt, garlic, cumin, cayenne, paprika.
- Form a hamburger patty and cook in a skillet on medium heat. Remember to flip the patty so that the inside and sides of the patty are completely cooked.
- Remove the mushroom caps from the oven and immediately begin to assemble your burger.
- Place the mushroom cap face up. Add: lettuce, cabbage, tomato, chicken burger patty, goat cheese (crumble or spread), avocado, carrots.
- Top the burger with the other end of the mushroom cap. Smash it down with your hands and eat!
Approx macros: 317 calories, 49g protein, 15g carbs, 13g fat