Going meatless? Learning how to incorporate other nutrient-dense foods, beyond the usual ground chicken or beef or grilled salmon is a viable way to ensure your diet remains fresh. Like these black bean and quinoa burgers! They are packed with protein, carbs, veggies and spices to not only make you fall in love with burgers again, but also to help you feed that hard-earned muscle.
Ingredients for 5 patties:
- 15oz can black beans (drained)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup cooked corn
- 2 green onions
- 1/4 cup bell pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup wheat germ (or instant oatmeal if you have an allergy)
- spray coconut oil
- Seasonings: 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tbsp cayenne, salt & pepper to taste.
- Mash black beans in a bowl using a mallet, or place them in a food processor
- In a large bowl, add of your ingredients and seasonings. Mix very well.
- Form patties using your hands. If the patties are too loose and wet, then add tablespoons of wheat germ or oats to make them more firm.
- If you are using an outside BBQ grill, then lightly spray the grill with coconut oil. If you are cooking in a skillet, lightly spray a non-stick skillet with coconut oil.
- Enjoy with whole wheat hamburger buns or lettuce wraps for a lower carbohydrate option.
Approx macros for 1 of 5 patties: 164 calories, 11g protein, 28g carbs, 3g fat