This post is also available in: Spanish
Day 4 of the 5-Day Smoothie Challenge, Street Fighter Edition, is a hearty, green smoothie using two of my favorite super foods – kale and avocado. Some people avoid incorporating fats into their daily diet in hopes that they will lose weight; but, incorporating healthy fats from sources like avocado can actually encourage fat loss since avocados have a type of sugar – mannoheptulose – that actually impedes the release of insulin.
In the video game Street Fighter, E. Honda was one of the games largest characters, yet most agile. He definitely followed a bulking, muscle-building diet. One of his signature moves was his “Torpedo” where he mustered enough energy to fire his large sumo frame at his opponents. Much like his torpedo, this smoothie will give you similar energy to attack the day and your workout.
Remember, to play you must recreate and drink the smoothie, take a picture, share it with friends & family on your social media channel with the #fitmencook hashtag and give your thoughts about the smoothie. What did you like? What would you change? How do you feel?
- 2 kale leaves
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1/2 green pear
- 2 pineapple slices
- 3 strawberries
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1 mint sprig*
- fresh lime juice*
- ice, water as needed
(*) – denotes an optional ingredient; but, if you are playing the challenge, then trying it with the optional ingredients will give you extra points.
- Add ingredients listed above to a blender.
- Simply pulse blend for about 1 minute to ensure you remove any chunks, then blend until smooth.
- Instead of ordering a salad with your meal, try this. Or, simply drink as a snack.
Some quick benefits of this smoothie:
- Feeling satisfied to avoid overeating
- Boost of energy from the monounsaturated fats which are used by the body to slowly burn energy
- Packed with antioxidants and vitamins to support skin and cardiovascular health
- Has enzyme bromelain – foundin pineapple – to serve as an anti-inflammatory to help prevent bruising, swelling and redness
- Mint can help relieve allergy symptoms and help ease digestion
Approximate macros: 254 calories, 6g protein, 40g carbs, 12g fat