This post is also available in: Spanish
Day 3 of the 5-Day Smoothie Challenge, Street Fighter Edition, is a refreshing sweet red smoothie, made using a delicious combination of both sweet vegetables and fruits. For many, eating beets can take some getting used to, and I’ll even admit that they taste amazing when roasted.
However, raw beets have almost twice the antioxidants of cooked beets, AND when paired with other fruits, the sweet flavors are amazing. And, the natural sugars in beets provide your body with energy before a workout so you can perform at your best.
In the game Street Fighter, Chun-Li was known to overwhelm her opponents with a deadly lightning kick that was nearly impossible to defend. Once you get a swig of this smoothie, your taste buds will be overwhelmed by the complementary sweet flavors. And Chun-Li will be your virtual #WCW (Woman Crush Wednesday) – she’s proof that squats and lunges and plyo can do a body good.
Remember, to play you must recreate and drink the smoothie, take a picture, share it with friends & family on your social media channel with the #fitmencook hashtag and give your thoughts about the smoothie. What did you like? What would you change? How do you feel?
- 1/2 red beet
- 1 small red apple
- 1 celery stick
- 3 large strawberries
- 1/4 banana
- green tea*
- 1/3 cup raspberries*
- 1 tsp ginger*
(*) – denotes an optional ingredient; but, if you are playing the challenge, then trying it with the optional ingredients will give you extra points.
- Add ingredients listed above to a blender.
- Simply pulse blend for about 1 minute to ensure you remove any chunks, then blend until smooth.
- Instead of ordering a salad with your meal, try this. Or, simply drink as a snack.
Some quick benefits of this smoothie:
- Beets are great for exercise as they help to improve blood flow thereby increasing your muscular endurance
- Rich in antioxidants that aid in detoxification
- Beets help to purify the blood, reduce inflammation and even cleanse the liver
- Regulation of blood sugar levels
- Curb appetite and feelings of hunger
Approximate macros with the optional ingredients: 168 calories, 1g protein, 35g carbs, 1g fat