Tis’ the season of calorie-conscious comfort food and tailgating for football and luckily, I picked up the perfect tool for both. Recently, I picked up the amazing panini/grill skillet from Kohl’s to test out and I haven’t put it down since.
I love it. It adds grill marks to just about anything, so you lock in flavor and make all your food even more appetizing. Plus, I like that you can also toss it on your grill while tailgating for a smoky or BBQ inspired treat.
Playing around with it, I got inspired to make a “grilled cheese” but with a small twist. I used basil, tomato and balsamic glaze to give it my own twist on a Caprese salad; and, I used lite safflower mayo instead of butter to make the outer part evenly “creamy and crispy” with each bite. Try it!
Ingredients for 1 caprese panini:
- 1 100-calorie wheat bun
- 3oz choice of protein (I used about 3 slices of prosciutto and trimmed fat from edges to save a few calories)
- 2 thin sliced tomatoes (dried on a paper towel to remove excess water)
- 1.5 oz reduced fat mozzarella
- 1/8 cup fresh basil (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic glaze
- 1 teaspoon safflower mayo
Utensils: Panini skillet/grill
- Assemble the sandwich with protein, tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and balsamic glaze.
- Place the skillet on medium high heat and spray it with olive oil.
- Spread half of the mayo on one side of the sandwich.
- When the skillet is hot, place the sandwich on the grill with the mayo side down (so it’s cooking). Allow it to cook for about 2 or 3 minutes, or until it is golden brown. Press down on the sandwich using the panini grill lid.
- Spread mayo on the other side of the sandwich, and when ready, flip the sandwich over so the other side cooks (roughly same amount of time, maybe a little less time).
- Remove the sandwich from the grill and enjoy!
Approximate macros for 1 serving:
368 calories, 32g protein, 24g carbs, 19g fat, 2g fiber, 3g sugar