Here’s a quick side dish recipe for your next meal prep – this is best paired with a savory or spicy main dish – such as my healthy dirty rice recipe.
In general, I’m not the biggest fan of carrots. Despite my intense cravings for sweet foods, I actually find carrots a bit too naturally sweet for me – they “confuse” my tastebuds. However, when they are roasted and seasoned to be both sweet & salty, I tend to really enjoy them.
MAPLE ROASTED CARROTS RECIPE
Ingredients for 5 servings:
- 6 small orange carrots
- 5 small purple (rainbow) carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- pinches of sea salt & pepper to taste
- Set oven to 450F.
- Slice carrots down the middle – vertically – to make two thin pieces. Place the halves in a bow.
- Add olive oil, 1 tablespoon sugar-free maple syrup, thyme, cinnamon and sea salt & pepper. Rub the slices in the spices, then place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the edges are brown but have not burned.
- Drizzle the remaining syrup over the carrots and serve immediately.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 servings:
75 calories, 11g carbohydrates, 3g fat, 1g protein, 4g fiber, 6g sugar