This post is also available in: Spanish
Kicking off the 5-Day Smoothie Challenge, Street Fighter Edition, with a Blanka Shock, aka spicy tomato smoothie, in order to jumpstart the day. In the Street Fighter video game, Blanka was known for his aggressiveness and being able to deliver a “shock” to his opponents. This smoothie will shock your taste buds, but in a good way!
When I first started drinking smoothies with my meals, I stuck to only using greens since drinking smoothies was new territory for me and I did not want to be too adventurous, too soon.
But, when I finally shook my fear of trying new things, I understood that there are several ways to spice up a smoothie and they do not always have to be sweet. This smoothie is proof of that.
Remember, to play you must drink recreate the smoothie, take a picture, share it with friends & family on your social media channel with the #fitmencook hashtag and give your thoughts about the smoothie. What did you like? What would you change? How do you feel?
- 3 small vine tomatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1 garlic clove
- handful cilantro
- lime juice from 1 lime (to taste)
- 1/8 cup red onion*
- 1/2 jalapeño*
(*) – denotes an optional ingredient; but, if you are playing the challenge, then trying it with the optional ingredients will give you extra points.
- Add ingredients listed above to a blender.
- Simply pulse blend for about 1 minute to ensure you remove any chunks, then blend until smooth.
- Instead of ordering a salad with your meal, try this. Or, simply drink as a snack.
Some quick benefits of this smoothie:
- Vitamins & minerals: vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium
- Carrots have been known to help stimulate appetite and help with digestion
- Skin health from vitamin A
- Tomatoes have high water content which will allow you to feel fuller while not adding on additional calories
- Cilantro is rich in antioxidants and even dietary fiber which have been show to help reduce “bad cholesterol” (LDL) levels
- Onions are rich in chromium that can help control glucose levels which is good for those who have insulin resistance
Approximate macros: 119 calories, 9g protein, 27g carbs, 0g fat