As we bid farewell to the summer, we don’t have to say goodbye to ALL of the summer recipes we tend to love.
So, carry avocado into the fall with you and swap mayonnaise for heart-healthy avocado!
Ingredients for 1 of 5 servings:
- ~1.5lb (680g) cooked red potato
- 1 large ripe Haas avocado
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 boiled egg (diced with yolk)
- 1/3 cup diced/bell pepper (red)
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro (or more if desired)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- juice from 1/2 lime (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- red pepper flakes (or chili powder) to taste
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Cut red potatoes into halves (or quarters) and place the potato pieces in a pot. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt over the cut potato, then add room temperature water until the water level barely covers the red potato. Bring the pot a slow boil and allow the potatoes to cook for about 15 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the potato with a fork. Drain the water then add the potatoes to a large bowl to cool (to room temperature).
- In a separate bowl, mash the ripe avocado with a fork or potato masher. Then add in the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix together with a fork. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
- Add the avocado mixture to the potatoes and mix together using a spatula. Season to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro, red onion and red pepper if desired.
- Enjoy immediately, or place in the fridge for at least 1 hour before enjoying (recommended).
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 servings:
197 calories, 27g carbs, 9g fat, 3g protein, 5g fiber, 3g sugar