Waffles so easy and delicious, your biggest problem will be deciding what to put on top. These also make great in-between meal snacks – just chop the waffles into pieces and you have protein and complex carbohydrate-rich treats. This recipe idea is great for “leaning out for the summer,” or “packing on some solid muscle.” The recipe can’t lose!
Ingredients for up to 3 servings:
- 400g grated sweet potato (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- Eggs – 1 egg, 4 egg whites
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- spray coconut oil or cooking spray
- Waffle iron
Which topping are you?
Berries, Almonds & Organic Raw Honey
Budget Chili with Cilantro & Reduced-Fat Cheddar
Greek Yogurt, Tomatoes, Green Onions, Sea Salt & Pepper, Reduced-Fat Cheddar (pinch)
Avocado, Tomatoes, Goat Cheese
- Wash the sweet potatoes to remove any dirt. This is very important, especially if you are like me and tend to eat the skin of the sweet potatoes.
- Set oven to 400F.
- Grate sweet potatoes into a large bowl.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add eggs to the grated sweet potato and toss in coconut flour. Mix well using a spatula. If desired, you may add seasonings and spices; however, keep in mind that most of the flavor will come from the toppings.
- Place of the waffle iron and cook thoroughly, about 8 minutes per large waffle.
- OPTIONAL yet recommended step: after the waffles have finished cooking, they can seem soggy depending on the waffle iron. If you find the waffles are too soft, place them on a baking rack and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes so they can become more firm and crispy around the edges.
Approximate macros for 1 of 3 servings without toppings:
194 calories, 10g protein, 31g carbs, 2.67g fat, 6.67g fiber, 6.67g sugar