Slow-cookers and crockpots are God’s gifts to people short on time and those who find themselves feeling a little “challenged” in the kitchen. Can’t get any better than tossing your ingredients into a pot and walking away!
So here are 3 easy slow cooker recipes to help you get started in 2016.
TERIYAKI PULLED CHICKEN
- 2lbs raw chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Bragg Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup raw honey (or coconut sugar)
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/8 cup red chili pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- spray olive oil
- sesame seeds
- chopped green onion
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with olive oil.
- Add all of the ingredients except for the arrowroot starch into the slow cooker and stir together.
- Add the chicken breasts to the mixture and stir so that the sauce covers the chicken breasts.
- Place the top on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Once the cooking cycle has finished, remove the chicken breasts and place them in a bowl.
- Pull the chicken apart using forks and set the chicken aside.
- Set a deep skillet on medium high heat and once the skillet is hot, pour in the sauce from the slow cooker and bring it to a simmer.
- Add arrowroot starch to the sauce and stir. TIP: mix 1.5 tablespoon of water with the arrowroot starch before adding it to the sauce.
- Remove the heat skillet from the heat and allow the sauce to thicken just a bit.
- Add the pulled chicken back to the slow cooker and pour in the teriyaki sauce. Mix together using a spatula.
- Allow the chicken to cook for another 20 to 30 minutes on low and then serve.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
Approximate macros for 1 of 8 servings:
194 calories, 28g protein, 17g carbohydrates, 2g fat, <1g fiber, 12g sugar
APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL
- 1 3/4 cup rolled oats or steel cut oats, NOT INSTANT oatmeal
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 small green apples, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maca powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (1 tablespoon stevia in the raw)*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- spray coconut oil
( * ) – denotes an optional ingredient
- Thoroughly spray the inside of the slow cooker with coconut oil to prevent the oatmeal from burning by sticking to the sides of the inside of the slow cooker.
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and mix together with a spatula.
- Place the top on the slow cooker and cook overnight on low for 7 to 8 hours. If you routinely wake up in the middle of the night, you can check on the oatmeal to stir it but it is not necessary.
- After the cooking cycle, stir the oatmeal and enjoy. You can store uneaten portions of the oatmeal in your refrigerator for up to 5 days, but practice proper reheating techniques.
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 servings:
218 calories, 8g protein, 42g carbohydrates, 5g fat, 7g fiber, 7g sugar
CHIPOTLE STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
- 4 colorful bell peppers
- 1lb raw 93% lean ground turkey
- 15oz (1 can) low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup chopped chipotle peppers
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar
- Water bath: ~1/3 cup – 1/2 cup water (depending on the size of your slow cooker; more water is needed for wider slow cookers)
- Chop the tops off bell peppers and carefully remove the insides with a knife.
- In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the stuffing. Evenly divide and stuff the mixture into the bell peppers.
- Pour 1/3 cup or 1/2 cup water into the slow cooker and then carefully stand up the bell peppers into the slow cooker.
- Place the top on (with a whole/crack to vent) and cook for 5 to 6 hours on low heat.
- Once the peppers have finished cooking, remove the slow cooker top and sprinkle reduced fat cheddar on each bell pepper. Place the top back on and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the stuffed peppers from the slow cooker and enjoy.
Approximate macros for 1 of 4 servings:
439 calories, 39g protein, 39g carbohydrates, 15g fat, 2g fiber, 2g sugar