I’ve been experimenting a lot in the kitchen recently to prepare for my upcoming book. Not everything I make is going to make the final cut to go to print but it doesn’t mean it’s not worthy of a little link “love.”
Here’s a recipe I made with a calorie-conscious date-night in mind.
Check out some of my “rules” to creating a memorable date night with food. This is a low-carb recipe with higher fat so it is satisfying.
Shrimp Shirataki Noodle Stir-Fry Recipe
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 14oz jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and raw (OR your choice of protein such as tempeh, chicken, beef)
- 16oz tofu shirataki noodles (drained, patted dry on a paper towel)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly and diagonally sliced
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy
- 1 tablespoon hot Chinese mustard (or jalapeño Dijon)
- 1 teaspoon agave (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot starch (optional, as a thickener)
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- sesame seed
- 3 green onions, thinly and diagonally sliced
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and spray with a little olive oil or cooking spray. Once the pan is hot, toss in the raw shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes until it is no longer pink. Set the shrimp aside and using the same skillet, add safflower oil.
- Once the oil is hot, toss in the bell pepper and celery. Cook until the outside edges are seared and the veggies are still crunchy.
- While the veggies are cooking, mix together the ingredients for the sauce and set it aside.
- Add the cooked shrimp and noodles to the skillet and toss the mixture together for about 1 minute. Reduce the heat, then move the mixture to one side of the skillet and pour in the sauce. Once the sauce begins to simmer/bubble, toss everything together in the skillet.
- Cook for about 1 -2 minutes more, then plate. Add the garnish (if desired) and enjoy.
Approximate macros for 2 servings:
344 calories, 29g protein, 13g carbohydrates, 24g fat, 4g fiber, 5g sugar